Bhasha ni Bhelpuri

I know four languages...Marathi, Hindi, English and Gujarati. But that doesn't matter. Because when I am expressing myself using this tool of communication, I don't restrict myself to just one language. I speak a mix of all the four languages. Many in my generation do the same. And do it without any sense of remorse. Afterall, we are becoming more and more multi-cultural and multi-lingual day by day. So why should we stress on the use of 'pure' language without any distortions. In the first place, the use of words of other languages should not be considered an anamoly at all. It comes naturally to people who are fed with content in all languages, who meet people speaking different languages and move across in a globalized world for better opportunities. Why then should we speak only one language? Language, according to me is a choice. If I choose to write and express myself in English or Gujarati, my choice should be respected. This does not mean that I am demeaning other languages.

I was compelled to write about the use of languages in our daily life because recently I presented a research paper in a seminar which discussed the fate of Indian languages in the 21st century. True, that Indian languages lie neglected, but they are not going to die. We have managed to preserve our languages from all sort of onslaughts and we can continue to do so even now. Who said it is the English language which is threatening us? We are ourselves responsible for the sorry state of our languages. English is the need of the hour and this reality has to be accepted. Knowledge of English will certainly help us go far ahead. But we must not be rigid about using only English or only our mother tongue, we must strive to acquire proficiency over more number of languages. Is it not better to speak in many different languages?

Language is the essence of any culture. If culture has to survive, then language inevitably has to be preserved. Literary works in the language and their reader base can help make the language strong. Today, the reality of languages is like a 'bhelpuri'. It has all the ingridients mixed in it but still retains the flavour that is true to its own. That is what makes it lip smacking and that is what will keep languages interesting to use, now and in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts